Notable information from the reports include:
- $627.6 million in immediate work is required to make all RI schools "warm, safe, and dry" (fire alarms, roof and window replacement).
- $2.2 billion would bring all facilities up to "aspirational standards", which includes repairs as well as creating 21st century learning environments.
- 54% of RI's traditional schools can accommodate 350 students or fewer, but average enrollment in 2016-17 was 488.
- Sample facility deficiency costs by district:
East Providence -- $137.5 million
Providence -- $372.4 million
Tiverton -- $46 million
Warwick -- $190 million
- Sample facility deficiency costs by school building:
Barrington Middle School -- $21.4 million
East Providence High School -- $38.7 million
Classical High School -- $17.3 million
Tiverton High School -- $22.4 million
Warwick Vets -- $27.3 million
There is already news coverage regarding these reports online from Linda Borg (here) and Dan McGowan (here).
Lisa M. Nelson | OEHCRI
410 South Main Street, 3rd Floor
Providence, RI 02903